Safety In The Home

Electricity is often overlooked as a possible fire hazard. This may be because there is no flame. However, some 28,000 fires in the home are reported each year as being caused by electrical faults, accidents or misuse of electrical equipment.

There are particular danger signs you should look out for on all the electrical items you have around your home that CEFC Ltd can help review; identify and help with. These may include:

  • hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow frequently, flickering lights and scorch marks on sockets or plugs; these are all signs of loose wiring or other problems that should be fixed
  • badly wired plugs – if you can see the coloured wires sticking out, they can come loose and debris can also get into the plug
  • frayed power leads – the outer covering of all power leads should be in good condition and not damaged
  • repaired power leads – split or frayed leads should not just be taped over as this is not a secure repair; they should be replaced
  • overloaded sockets – too many electrical appliances plugged into one socket or adapter can overload it, which will lead to overheating
  • badly positioned cables – they should not be anywhere they could be tripped over, or near to water, or close to cookers or other sources of heat; and don’t run them under rugs or carpets where they can wear through without anyone noticing
  • water near electrical items – cables and plugs should never be in danger of getting wet; so don’t put a vase of flowers on the TV, for example.