Below are some FAQs with regards to the Building Regulations Part P, Electrical safety in dwellings.  If you have any further questions, please contact Oak Tree Kent and we will update this page.

Q1: When did Part P come into effect?

Part P came into effect in England and Wales on 1st January 2005.  A number of updates have been made since then and the 2013 edition for use in England for use after 6 April 2013 can be found on the government planning portal web site located here – Click Here

Q2: What are the requirements of Part P?

As of 1st January 2005, it is a legal requirement for all work on fixed electrical installations in dwellings and associated buildings to comply with relevant standards. The relevant UK standard is BS 7671:2008, ‘Requirements for electrical installations’ (The IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition). BS 7671 covers requirements for design, installation, inspection, testing, verification and certification.

Q3: To what types of electrical work does Part P apply?

  • In or attached to a dwelling
  • In the common parts of buildings serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power
    supplies to lifts
  • In a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a
    dwelling, and
  • In a garden or in or on land associate with a building where the electricity supply is from
    a source located within or shared with a dwelling

The term dwelling includes houses, maisonettes and flats. It also applies to electrical installations in business premises that share an electricity supply with dwellings, such as shops and public houses with a flat above.

The common parts of buildings includes access areas in blocks of flats such as hallways and shared amenities in blocks of flats such as laundries and gymnasiums.
Part P applies to electrical installations located in outbuildings such as detached garages, sheds and greenhouses.
Part P applies to parts of electrical installations located on land around dwellings such as garden lighting.
Part P applies to electrical installations that operate at voltages not exceeding 1000 V AC.

Notifiable work includes new installations, house re-wires, and the installation of new circuits.

Notifiable work also includes additions to existing circuits in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoors and in other special locations (see below).

Q4: Will all electrical work need Building Regulations approval?

No. In general, notification will need to be given to, or full plans deposited with, a building control body only if the work is major involving one or more complete new circuits, and is not being carried out by an electrical contractor registered with an authorised competent person self-certification scheme.

Q5: What types of electrical work are ‘non-notifiable’?

The following types of work are non-notifiable:

  • Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
  • Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (see Note 1.)
  • Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (see Note 2.)
  • Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (see Note 3.)
  • Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (see Note 4.)
  • Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (see Note 5.) and consists of: ◦ Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (see Note 6.)
  • Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (see Note 6.)


  1. On condition that the replacement cable has the same current-carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board
  2. If the circuit’s protective measures are unaffected
  3. If the circuit’s protective measures and current-carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by increased thermal insulation
  4. Such work shall comply with other applicable legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations
  5. Special locations and installations are listed below:
    • Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin
    • Swimming pools or paddling pools
    • Hot air saunas
    • Electric floor or ceiling heating systems
    • Garden lighting or power installations
    • Solar photovoltaic (PV) power supply systems
    • Small scale generators such as microCHP units
    • Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets
  6. Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory